What’s new for ShoreTel for 2012?
2012 brings the new release version 12.1, which includes these new features:
- Distributed Workgroups- the ability to distribute the workgroups. If headquarters servers are down, the workgroups will continue to function in your distributor voicemail servers.
- Distributed Database Capability- if a headquarters server is down, you can still make changes to the databases. These database changes are changes associated with call handling modes.
- New Browser Based Communicator- Able to use this in Safari and Firefox.
- Virtual Server Support
- An audiobook web conferencing and IM interface are new features
ShoreTel Mobility Solutions:
- Allows mobile workers to always have access to their peers with features and capabilities of Unified Communications to provide a successful collaboration.
- ShoreTel mobility solution has two parts that are used either with the ShoreTel UC system or can be utilized with other PBX and UC systems.
- The ShoreTel Mobility Router can be used from 10 users to 5,000 users. It allows a full-featured desk phone and mobile unified communications capabilities to smartphones and tablets with the RoamAnywhere Client.
What’s new for VMware for 2012?
Site Recover Manager (SRM) 5.0 and View 5.0 are new for VMware.
- Has the ability to enable a fully automate test and failover of a VMware infrastructure to a recovery site.
- vSphere Replication-Allows replication of different kinds of storage without the need for a storage adapter.
- Automated Failback- When the protected and original site has been restored, a failback can be executed automatically.
- Planned Migration- A new workflow that can be applied to any recovery plan. This gives the user peace of mind that there will be no data loss.
- IPv6 Support
- Changes to user interface
- More granular control over VM startup order
- Protection side API’s
- View Media Services for 3D Graphics- this allows basic 3D functions like Windows Aero, Office 2010 or those requiring OpenGL or DirectX in View desktops without the need for specialized graphics cards or client devices.
- View Media Services for Integrated Unified Communications- allows integrated VOIP and View desktop experience for the end-user with an architecture to enable an optimized performance for both the desktop and unified communication.
- View Persona Management- associates a user persona to stateless floating desktops. IT administrators can manage more easily the stateless floating desktops to more use cases while enabling user personalization to persist between sessions.
- PCoIP Extension Services- allows WMI based tools to collect over twenty session statistics for monitoring, trending, and troubleshooting end-user support issues.
- PCoIP Optimization Controls- transports a flawless end-user experience regardless of the network reliability by detecting interruptions and automatically reconnecting the session.
- View Client for Android- provides the end-users with Android based tablets to access View virtual desktops.
- Enhanced Security Settings- enable client certificate handling customization using an established browser certificate to reinforce corporate policy.
- vSphere 5 support- ensures that View desktop service runs on the industry’s most complete and strong cloud infrastructure platform for flexible, reliable IT services.
What’s new for Microsoft for 2012?
The new addition of Office 365; a competitor with Google apps. New features and enhancements have been added to both Dynamics AX and the SQL Server.
- Support for Lync for Mac. Mac users can now use IM, presence and videoconferencing.
- New Sharepoint business connectivity services.
- Support for Windows Phone 7.5
- SkyDrive simple app sharing for Office with powerful file management and easier uploads with HTML5.
- Allows Microsoft 2010, Exchange, SharePoint, and Lync all Online in a cloud-based service.
Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012:
- The Analysis Project wizard makes it easier to create, update, configure, and install Analysis service projects.
- This wizard does many of the tasks you have to do manually in the Microsoft Business Intelligence Development Studio.
- Can use Microsoft Dynamics AX views to model data in perspectives.
- The ability to create Gregorian calendars to use as date dimensions in the Analysis Service project.
SQL Server (Denali):
- Sequences- included in this release. It is a user defined object that generates a sequence in a number.
- Ad-Hoc Query Paging- There is an Order By option available in the SQL Select statement that has been improved. This improved option gives the user control of paging through a result set.
- Full Text Search- Has been improved to allow the user to search and index data stored in extended properties or metadata.
- BI and Web Development- Improvements have been made to allow the user to create a self-service reporting model. PowerPivot is enhanced as well. Analysis services include a new BI Semantic Model (BISM), which improves Microsoft’s front end analysis experience that includes Excel, Reporting Services and SharePoint Insights.
- Web-Base Visualization (Project Crescent) – Offers a drag and drop ad-hoc reporting functionality that was built entirely on Silverlight. Also, offers a strong query tool and an interactive storyboarding to allow the user to share visualizations of large datasets.
- Data Quality Services- Microsoft has introduced Impact Analysis and Lineage, which will give the user information about what the data depends on.